PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 13:57
RecoveryMode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks All

Hi, new to this forum and want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed here. It's a lot to read through but there seems to be plenty of gold in them there hills.

I'm 25, ex-Army. I was unfortunately medically discharged, unfit for infantry due to persistent shin-splints...followed by a period of being diagnosed with depression after having to leave the ADF.

Did quite well back at my YOU session and had all jobs available for application, however I had done General Maths not 2-unit so I thought aviation was off the table (didn't realise I could do bridging courses etc), anyhow it seemed like a dream only fit for those greater than I. Army it was. Set my sights and got on a good course. All was well until it wasn't.

Looking back, as one sometimes does, I have regretted not chasing the dream to fly, as well as questioning the sense in not choosing a role that was potentially more suited to my attributes. (I'm 170cm, 70kg, and apparently somewhat flat footed, but with a good general fitness, focus and a love for learning)

Not wanting to live life wondering, I am going to see if there is any way that I can convince a board to let me in to show what I can learn and do.
Either way at least there may be some closure and I will have tried.

I see my hurdles as:
Medical history:
Physical component - Must determine suitability based on past injury and current status. Pack marching ability / Orthodics may not be such a big issue for aircrew.
Mental component - Must determine what they consider my current status and how long to have gone on fine without medication etc for.

Age - I realise that this window may close on me before I can get cleared for the above issues, depending on how harsh the AvMed Class 1 timeline requirements are.

Education - I will enrol in a qualifying bridging course AERONAUTICAL MATHEMATICS,Mathematics Bridging,Maths Bridging,Physics Bridging,HSC Mathematics,HSC Physics | Aeroscience
(This one looks ok I believe)

In summary, this is a statement of my intention to get back to what I have always felt was right, performing effective service in the ADF.
If there is anyone who can shine a light for me on any of the above points in particular, it would be much appreciated.
Information regarding if I would be uncompetitive on entry or unable to serve in certain capacities would be especially useful. I shall continue reading and searching these forums in the meantime, and pursuing other avenues for direct sources of information.

Regardless, I appreciate your tolerance of the above brain-dump, it feels good to have said it all out loud, so to speak.

Take care, take risks.
- RecoveryMode