PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 06:15
Diffracted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Diplomas Matter?

I'm a reasonably fresh CPL, having completed the 200hr course a few months ago, and have started exploring my options.

I've started researching my options regarding further qualifications and have discovered that there is a but of a price difference between my short-listed schools when it comes to Instrument Ratings and/or Instructor Ratings, with some schools quoting x thousand and some others (RTO types) x + 6-or-so thousand, but with a Dip.Aviation thrown in.

So here is a little scenario for you more senior guys out there in PPRuNe land:

Assume that after advertising a position for a new driver for your school/operation, and working through the various selection criteria you employ, you have narrowed down your selection to Candidate A and Candidate B. Both A and B are a good fit for your business; they have similar experience and have shown a great attitude for the job, both have similar experience. Candidate A has a Dip.Aviation (relevant to your operation) and Candidate B does not.

Question: Which candidate are you likely to pick?

I know that recruitment is a complex activity, and I have dumbed it down a little in the scenario, but I really would like to know if the diploma is worth the extra money considering that the important part (as insofar as actually flying is concerned) is the rating.