PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving Up Smoking.. Help Wanted!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2003, 06:18
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped smoking this year at the start of January. It was about my 7th or 8th attempt, but this time was different and well planned. i had read most of the Alan Carr book, but it was the change of lifestyle that helped the most.

Never say you are giving up, its only psychological, but it makes you think EVERY time you correct someone why you don't smoke. You will always be a smoker, just currently not participating so have STOPPED. I was fortunate to have gone on holiday around the time I felt best to stop, the other 9 people were all non-smokers, we stayed in a non-smoking chalet, and I asked for no-one to mention it unless I did first. 9 people supporting you was great and rare, but still it was tough. Willpower is the ultimate goal but tayloring your life to suit this is imperitive. Let everyone close to you know you are trying to stop, and fully define their role in this. Their help can be critical, by either constantly asking, or avoiding the subject completely. So you miss a few months down the pub with your mates, better than missing the last 15 years with them.

If you don't succeed don't think it'll never happen. Just plan the next time differently and try to find something new to interrupt the thoughts. I totally disagree with the 'aids' as I think they only move the dependency rather than stop it, however they can be easier to cut out so if these work, just remember that its a 2 stage effort, and keep trying. NEVER feel a failure if the cravings get the better either, just try to screw them by lasting longer next time, feel the strength from combatting the weed.

Lastly, NEVER take the advice of a non-smoker. As much as they think they know, they will never ever feel the same cravings as you will for nearly all of your life. GOOD LUCK