PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternatives to Trident: New Paper
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2015, 18:41
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
ThinkTanker,

I must admit that I haven't read every word of your paper yet, and probably never will, but I have come across the following.

You state that the unrefuelled operational radius of the F-35C is 615nm. However, you then go on to say that multiple in-flight refuelling can give a radius of action (based on an aircrew fatigue limit of 12 hours, which presumably equates to 5000nm flown) of 2500nm. It therefore appears you are not planning one way missions, but expect our gallant aviators to be able to return.

The supposed logic of this argument then allows you to conveniently draw 2500 nm circles around various possible operating bases to show the global coverage of such a force. However, you don't seem to mention (unless I've missed it?) the issue of taking a non stealthy tanker through hostile air defences until it is somewhere within 600 odd miles of your intended target? For example Figure 11 on page 69, which you use to illustrate targets in Russia being attacked from Akrotiri. Then of course the tanker has to loiter somewhere for a couple of hours for our gallant F-35 pilot(s) to return post strike and be refuelled on the way home.

I'd be indebted to anyone who can tell me where to look in the paper for the answer to my question if I've missed it.