PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now a qualified pilot what next?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2015, 18:21
Whiskey Kilo Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly-ins etc

Congratulations on getting your licence.

Hopefully during the learning process you have identified the bits you enjoy, Local Bimbling – A to B Navigation – Aeros – Instrument Flying etc. The social aspect can come from attending fly-ins and going on group trips with other pilots / aircraft. I’d recommend giving the Light Aircraft Association (LAA) a look over. There will be one or more local branches (called Struts) that often hold monthly meetings and have flying events during the season. It’s a good way to meet people and see different types of aircraft. It can also be a good way of finding a Group that is looking for a new member.

Although it’s the middle of winter, or feels like that at times, the new flying season is just around the corner. That means fly-ins and other events to attend. Owners are almost always happy to talk about their aeroplanes and will often offer a flight as well.

It may take some time to find the right aircraft and ownership system for you. I was lucky in that I dropped on my preferred mount (Rans S6-116) after just 70 flying hours and have kept the same aircraft for the last 23 years.

Good luck with your flying and enjoy the research.
Richard W.

Ps. Beware of people who think that their aircraft is the perfect answer to everyone’s flying needs, it might not be a Rans S6….