PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde v Concordski
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2015, 14:37
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's no date on the Google maps, but I'd say those pictures were taken some years ago. When I first visited Zhukovsky in an official capacity in 1992 there were five TU-144s, two of which I was told were in flying condition. There were lots of other weird and wonderful flying machines about the place, most of which I'd never seen before.

I was last there in 2012 for the air show and most of the prototypes had gone (I was told they'd been scrapped) and there were just two Tu-144s in the background by the flight test centre.

Like Farnborough before it, Ramenskoye - as it is now called - is being reinvented as a business jet base, so expect to see a lot of 'tidying up' taking place. I suspect the remaining 144s may end up as 'Baltika' cans.

Re the Almaty link, I was told that you had to be 'invited', from which I understood it was for senior party members only. I was working in Russia at the time and asked about it, but I was given a very firm 'Nyet' on the basis that my visa did not allow me to travel to Almaty!

Last edited by barry lloyd; 16th Feb 2015 at 14:42. Reason: additional info.