PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde v Concordski
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2015, 16:27
Molemot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few Concorde anecdotes...from my time at Terminal 4 doing penance as an Immigration Officer...

In 1995, when the Boeing 777 was the latest thing in the skies, BA were flying it on their London to Paris service until it was ETOPS qualified. I was watching the passengers come off the latest arrival as part of my duties...they were mostly American, and didn't seem too excited to have flown in Boeing's very latest. As they travelled along the moving walkway towards the Immigration control, they went past a Concorde, parked on stand.
They went potty...cameras came out, people started walking the wrong way on the walkway, a great buzz of excitement went up..."GEE...look...it's the Concorde!!"...as they marvelled at the space age lines of the 1960s design icon!

After the Paris crash, when the fleet was being ferried to Bristol for the modifications to be carried put before return to service, every time one left Heathrow you could hardly get near the place for photographers and spotters...cars, stepladders, huge lenses, the lot. Just the same when they resumed service...the "Concorde Groupies" were out in force.

Finally, when she was being withdrawn from use, all flights were full for weeks before the final flight. I dealt with one of the American passengers, who told me he had been an engineer on the Boeing SST project. He said he had had to fly on Concorde to see what a supersonic airliner was really like, and he was astounded at it....."Magnificent!" was his verdict.

I lived in Kew for many years and I can remember the first time Concorde came over, one of the prototypes on diversion due to weather after displaying at Farnborough. I also have a photograph taken from the garden of the last Concorde in her final approach. All gone now; but still the "Queen of the Skies"....