PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Archbishop apologises for Dresden bombings
Old 14th Feb 2015, 22:33
Pali

Received 237 Likes on 38 Posts
It's funny; people will eagerly tell us that the bomber offensive didn't halt or significantly reduce German war production. They don't seem so ready to tell us what it would have been without it, though.
Well, maybe the production could be really hampered if the bombers would focus really on industry instead of indiscriminate area bombing of civilians.

Now guess, who said this after Dresden raid:

It seems to me that the moment has come when the question of bombing of German cities simply for the sake of increasing the terror, though under other pretexts, should be reviewed. Otherwise we shall come into control of an utterly ruined land… The destruction of Dresden remains a serious query against the conduct of Allied bombing. I am of the opinion that military objectives must henceforward be more strictly studied in our own interests than that of the enemy.
The Foreign Secretary has spoken to me on this subject, and I feel the need for more precise concentration upon military objectives such as oil and communications behind the immediate battle-zone, rather than on mere acts of terror and wanton destruction, however impressive.

And when we talk about ending war sooner there was a good chance to do it right from the beginning. Not to sacrifice Czechoslovakia in 1938, keeping the word and fight united shoulder to shoulder with Poland - France and Britain would be also in completely different situation.

Even if we were left alone we were supposed to fight. I remember my father telling me the capitulation to Hitler without a single shot even if our allies deserted us was probably the most shameful feeling he had in his life.

Apology, apology, I wonder if I've heard anything in regard to Munich...

And yes, the quote above is from the same leader who said something about blood, toil, tears and sweat. He was a very fine gentleman. Pity he wasn't at Downing street in 1938.