PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phantom Friday
Thread: Phantom Friday
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 21:40
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Thought so, mate!

That OP TIGER TRAIL 3/84 was somewhat protracted! From what I've been able to recall, I flew out on 24 Oct 84 in the back of one VC10K as another crew was flying it. We also had some Victor and Group klingons with us, though heaven knows why.

We landed at Wright-Patt, then the next day we flew the jet down to NAS Miramar. 26th free - we went to SeaWorld. 27th free - we went to Laguna Beach, Universal Studios and Hollywood. 28th free - after brunch we went to Pacific Beach.

Monday 29th we set off for Wright Patt (the other crew was flying), only to blow an engine and return to Miramar. A minimum crew stayed with the jet, whilst the rest of us had to slum it in a C-130 from North Island to Wright Patt the following day (30th) - which seemed to take ****ing hours!

31st was another day off over at Dayton; 1st Nov was a weather scrub, but we finally trailed the F-4s up to Goose on the 2nd - which was also my IRT!

I can't recall whether it was just a straight transit back on Sat 3rd, or whether it was a trail; however, we flew ZA141 'B' which wasn't one of the VC10Ks in your photo. We had some severe turbulence in the climb which overstressed the aircraft and a lot of boxes had to be re-racked before we coasted out....

And when we landed back at Brize after our 11 days away, I found that someone had kindly joe'd me for SDO the following day...