PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 19:45
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epsomsdog;

An interesting article, thanks for sharing.

While I agree with much of the content, I think it is a little miss informed in some areas.

Namely, critising the failure to grow the company while Ryanair became so big and so successful. Equally, failing to recognise that Aer Lingus has succeeded where others have failed, namely being able to compete with Ryanair and the transformation that they delivered in the face if huge barriers such as union interest, legacy practices and high cost base.

There are next to no examples of legacy airlines in Europe that have expanded into operations that do not involve their home markets, LH tried in Italy, it didn't last long. To have achieved expansion into non Island of Ireland operations a new brand with low cost base would have been needed, by the time Aer Lingus were ready for that the market was saturated with LOCO's, equally legacy carriers doing low cost has often been as MOL describes it an airline with charges for inflight food. So timing is the issue there ...

Furthermore, the writer despite some valid points completely fails to recognise that Aer Lingus has been amazingly resilient opposite Ryanair, making profits, and managing to compete. Other 'national carriers' (let's not debate that term), have folded and burned cash at a rate of knots in the face of similar or less challenge from Ryanair. Equally, other low cost carriers have cut and run in the face of Ryanair competition. Aer Lingus has not.

I do however, agree Aer Lingus does need to be part of a larger operation that can help it expand and grow, and one that offers it connectivity