PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - moving map...
Thread: moving map...
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2003, 00:30
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moving map...

Like several others on this forum I use Anywhere Map on a Casio Cassiopeia and Garmin GPS35, and it is brilliant. The problem is that the GPS35 doesn't have an internal battery as its purely a GPS receiver, no display or anything. Its convienient though, its about the size of a computer mouse, 12 channel and fits nicely on the top of the dash board with a clear view of the sky through the wind shield. The system is designed to be powered off the aircraft 12v [12-40v] system via a cigarette lighter socket, but I've yet to fly an aircraft with a cigarette lighter or in fact any 12V socket that I've noticed.

Does anyone know where I can get a high capacity 12V portable rechargable external battery pack in the UK to power this system? I have been looking at digital camera external packs, but they seem to be mostly 6V, and from the tests I've done, these don't seem to be able to power the system. The other option is to build one from 8 NiCad or NiMH D cells, but I'm sure there has to be a 12V battery pack available somewhere in cyber-space.....

I've been getting around this by using the Casio internal battery and hooking up a Garmin eTrex, powered from its own internal batteries. Works ok, though battery life is limited.

Cheers
EA