PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 12:18
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
Notwithstanding the actual cause of this accident, which remains to be determined; I have thought for some time - and it has been touched on here - that all LPC's should be conducted by TRE's from ICAO or some other suitable neutral agency - not by TRE's from the pilot's own company.

Examining by some company TREs is top standard, but in other companys, it seems to be very poor.

OPC's could still be conducted by company TRE's, but LPC's should be examined by TRE's entirely separate from the company, and unknown to the candidates, otherwise low standards might be allowed to prevail. An airline has an economic interest in keeping training costs to a minimum, and this could lead to substandard line flying and substandard pilot skill levels. Think about the recent crashes where pilots have made totally inappropriate control inputs when approaching a stall, or failed to monitor their airspeed, or identified the wrong engine etc. What is the cause of these examples of poor flying? It generally seems to be poor training and/or poor testing.

Company TRE's are checked by the authorities, but are then allowed to conduct LPC's autonomously until their next check.

I do of course realise that this would need a complete redesign of the logistics and economics of LPC SIMs, but I would have thought it would increase standards and safety.