PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Other than) toe brake types?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 11:57
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
If I recall correctly, the Lockheed Hudson had a handbrake and differential braking (if that is the correct word) was available by pushing one rudder pedal called a rudder bar, while simultaneously pulling out the hand brake.

In a rejected take off, the amount of braking was very much dependent on how strong the pilot's right arm was. The position and angle of the hand brake lever made it difficult to pull right back due to the awkward angle of one's elbow. At Camden in 1949 a Hudson of the Sydney Morning Herald Flying Services aborted a take off in thick fog. I was the dispatcher and heard the sound of the engines being throttled back and then a quite terrifying sound of squealing tyres.

The pilot taxied back and did another take off in the fog and this time got airborne. Thirty minutes after the Hudson departed at 0400, I drove a jeep down the runway still with 100 metres of fog, to collect the flare pots and noticed the tyre skid marks curving off the runway. That Hudson came awful close to a ground-loop and was lucky to get away with it.

A few nights later at close to midnight on Ist January 1950, the same Hudson VH-SMK, and with the same pilot, the aircraft became airborne and around 500 feet stalled and crashed killing its two pilots. Investigators were unable to determine why the aircraft was allowed to stall. One possibility was a problem with the artificial horizon which may have been caged.