PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 11:46
Lord Toofouright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd imagine that revenue from Car Parking at Manchester Airport, gives rise to a fair proportion of the total income for MA PLc ? Rail passengers however generate practically nothing, I'd have thought, apart from their spending once inside the Retail experiences in T1, 2 & 3. So rail expansion although good PR perhaps, is no big earner.
It appears that once again Apron space is to be sacrificed on the stands at the far end of freight (71 72 etc) for car parking this summer even though the massive new car park is soon to be fully operational down at the Heald Green end. When are MA going to develop UPWARDS rather than laterally all the time with car parking issues. Yes it may be more expensive to develop vertically, but
a) It's more convenient for the ever important passengers.
b) It saves precious land use.
c) Less congestion for residents round and about the perimeter of the airport.

5 aircraft were waiting the other morning (Because they were slightly early on their arrival times) for stands. It's pretty poor show that this happens (on a fairly regular basis) and that you have a regular "No Divs" notice pushed out because a lack of stand availability. After all it is what an Airport is supposedly designed for , - AEROPLANES, just because the bean counters appear to see Apron space as a valuable Car Park revenue generator!?
I don't see this being the case at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted or even Birmingham?