PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 14th Feb 2015, 08:24
jetstreem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ imedi

Re. Not visiting Dubai before starting work... Be careful. Maybe you've visited before, or worked elsewhere in the gulf. Or have friends here. In which case go for it. But I would just be a little wary of coming out here if you have absolutely no experience of the region. It's not to everyone's tastes. Life here can drive you a little bit mad, and being tied in for 3 years could make it an expensive interview if you don't like it! (Maybe just come for a quick holiday if you get a job offer?)

And in my personal opinion, if you're American and therefore get taxed on your earnings here, it's not that attractive anymore. A year or two ago the prospects for quick advancement in the company were ok. Now, not so good. It's going to take a lot longer to climb up the seniority and get tolerable rosters. There's no other increase in benefit for length of service. No pension. No increase in leave and no part time working. Dont get me wrong, it's not terrible here. But it's not amazing either.

The forecast is for about 100 pilots to join this year. A lot of them will probably already have start dates. So assume you're joining at the bottom of 350 or so FO's/Captains, and the top 10-20% get good rosters and do the math from there.

You have been warned! Hope you make a decision you end up happy with. All the best.