PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 13th Feb 2015, 23:50
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name a non-mechanically scanned effective MPA ASUW/ASW radar? Some have AESA but still spin, AFAIK there are enough disadvantages to make mechanically scanning still the best option.

Hi LO, very good point on the HPS-106, I still wonder what the 360 deg ASW performance is like. I do accept as T/Rs get smaller/lighter/cheaper/power efficient/etc. that electronic scan will become the norm, but think it will be 15 to 20 years before they are as effective as mechanically scanned systems.

I consider the AAS (and extra cabin space) and ASuW kit on the P-8 to be a massive advantage given the capability it gives the platform, well worth the airframe compromise. The P-1 has 8 external hardpoints, a fixed 30 buoy launcher in the fuselage and a unproven design without a global support network (for most parts). I'm not trying to play MPA Top Trumps, just trying to demonstrate that they all make compromises.

TOFO we will have to see what the DQI is on Seedcorn, however individuals are often the last to discover their fate!