PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 13th Feb 2015, 19:17
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't lost the plot at all. In fact, I have kept out of this thread because I got fed up looking at all the nonsense from people who either haven't done a type rating course on the machine or, if they have, were playing with their ipads at the time.

Actually, I think he must have done some sort of proper landing, otherwise the helicopter would have squished everyone in the pub straight away. My feeling is that he landed, having pulled everything possible (because people in the pub just heard a slight thump) and then the roof gave way. But then, what do I know? I don't know what the official cause of death for the people in the machine was.

Pre-empting the report, one problem that should be addressed is that engine offs in twin are not practised - yes, you have two engines, but both have been known to fail, as with Jeremy Howe's 355 way back when. Even if it's not the same machine, some practice is better than none. Considering that, I think it is entirely possible that the pilot did a good job, however the situation was arrived at. I say this having had a real engine failure at night in a single and not bent the machine.

If there is one organisation in this world who are apolitical and should be left to get on with their job it is the accident investigation people. AAIB, NTSB or whoever. I do appreciate that some people require "closure" but sometimes you just have to wait.

Rant over.

Phil