PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying under bridges (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2015, 17:12
luffers79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update.

I think I can fill in a few details of some of the above exploits - having been on an FR squadron in Germany in the 50's. Also I knew someone that was on the Court of Inquiry about the Clifton Suspension Bridge crash.

On joining my squadron, I was soon told UNofficially that although I could expect to be considered "operational" after about 6 months (and be presented with the squadron tie - at a drunken squadron thrash), I would be expected to have UNofficially flown under the big (43 metres clearance) Kiel Canal bridge by then !! I complied.

Later, my Flight Commander MS & Deputy Flight Commander (THE RH) decided to fly under it in formation. It was about the time that the British forces were told that we were no longer the Occupying Power but Guests etc.
Someone complained about these 2 Meteor FR9 aircraft flying under the bridge & a Summary of Evidence was started with a view to a Courts Marshall. The perpetrators had been easily identified & grounded.

In the process of collecting evidence, the permanently employed bridge painter was asked to confirm details of time, aircraft type etc. His well known reply was that he couldn`t because so many aircraft fly under each day that I don`t bother to look at them any more !!

Because of this statement, the matter was dropped, but a 3 mile restricted/forbidden area was created around the bridge. Incidentally, the excuses given were:- I was about to take a forward facing photo of the bridge, but realised that I had left the pull up too late & it was safer to go underneath (MS). RH said he was just concentrating on flying in close formation on his leader & knew nothing about the bridge previously !!

MS left the RAF shortly afterwards. RH became famous !!! (Both RIP now).

Shortly afterwards, the Wing Commander Flying passed me & asked me where this bridge was that was causing all the fuss. I told him just before he went off in a Meteor 7 to have a look at it.

By complete coincidence, I was passing Station Flight later as he was climbing out of his aircraft, so I asked him if he had found it ? He replied that indeed he had- but as he looked down at it "a box of 4 Venoms flew under it !! So I said to myself , This is no place for a Wing Commander to be & came back here quickly !!!".

Regarding Clifton Suspension Bridge, the Inquiry found that a mechanic had been doing a check on a Vampire 5 of 501 Auxiliary Squadron based at RAF Filton, Bristol & noticed a man in a Dinner Suit start to taxi out from along side his aircraft. He realised that there had been a Dinner in the officers mess the night before caused by the announcement that the RAF Auxiliary Air Force was being disbanded. There was to be a final fly past of all these squadrons later that day in their local areas. (It was a stupid decision by 501 to have the party the night before - others had it earlier in the week !!).

The mechanic tried to throw a chock in front of the moving Vampires wheel - without success. It took off (pilot not strapped in ? open canopy? across the grass?). It went under the bridge & crashed into the gorge cliffs.

I understand the pilot had telephoned his mother & girl friend previously & told them to go to the bridge to see something special. They were both there & saw the crash happen.

The Government acted quickly & cancelled ALL RAF Auxiliary Final flypasts throughout the country - in case .... such a pity!! This caused much resentment, but possibly understandable.

It was a different world we lived in then - leaving us with some incredible memories & stories !! Many wouldn`t be believed today !!!

Last edited by luffers79; 14th Feb 2015 at 07:25.