PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History of the English Speaking Peoples
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2015, 10:19
powerandpassion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good home

VT, sir, I would be grateful if you would consider sending them to me. I will pay postage to Australia, which may be 100 quid, but I would enjoy them.

I have read many of Churchill's wartime recollections, which were well balanced by reading CIGS Lord Alanbrookes biography and Step by Step by Arthur Bryant : reading these together is like being in the War Room and seeing the glances exchanged between the drivers of Britain's war effort. Churchill is always generous in his later recollections of circumstances which would drive anybody to their limit. Even in the worst circumstances, it was still an adventure. No doubt if the Nazis had won he would have been shot with cognac in hand.

Churchill, in misguided youth, also wrote an abysmal novel, 'Savrola', which I found in a second hand shop. It was the most sublime gift, because it was a rare book, which I promptly swapped with an antiquarian for a full set of Macaulays 'History of England', an act which I think both authors would approve of.

I did these things in my twenties, so don't despair of the young. I am in my forties now, but still enjoy reading. The anglosphere which was such a cherished notion of Churchill's is slightly out of favour now, but like a comet, it will return, a bright and splendorous thing. In the first instance, find the least likely youth, press one volume in their hand, and if they come back for more, you have found a good home for the books. Maybe leave 23 volumes at 23 different bus stops, one of them will change someone's life.

If all else fails sent them to the colonies.
Ed