PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portal Vein Thrombosis?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2015, 10:16
pistonprovost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portal Vein Thrombosis?

Good morning could some one on here please offer me some advise as to a medical issue I seem to of developed.

Just a quick run down of events to date in order to set the scene so to speak!

Last May I suffered from extreme anaemia so much so that my haemoglobin level dropped to 79, I was self admitted to Hospital through A&E and what initially followed was blood transfusions in order to initially stabilise me.

Various tests were conducted including a CT Scan with contrast, and Liver biopsy. The result from the CT Scan was Portal Vein Thrombosis, the Liver test result was normal.

From this I was then sent for a windpipe camera inspection, it was decided by my Liver Consultant banding was required to stop any possible blood loss, this is also strange as I haven't seen any blood present in my urine or stools.

To date eight bands have been completed and now he has asked my to return for more banding, this I am not too sure about as the experience was very traumatic.

As to the Portal Vein Thrombosis he doesn't seem to be too keen to treat as he seems to only want to carry on with banding and this is leading to my question.

Surely if the Portal Vein was corrected with a stent the the overall blood pressure in my windpipe and other possible future areas would decrease?

I certainly aren't a Doctor (and never will be!) but to me it just seems sensible to correct a problem with my plumbing rather than ignore it ?

As a footnote I am also suffering from terrible itching to the point were I itch so much it results in bleeding skin, as you can imagine it is very unsightly.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.