PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outright aircraft strength
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2015, 16:11
Shaft109

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Outright aircraft strength

Mods please feel free to move this to a more relevant area if appropriate.

All airframes are designed and built to be strong where necessary but as light as possible with a safety factor built in - but given certain job descriptions some are 'more equal' than others i.e. the A10 is specifically built to be 'tough' and I expect all carrier aircraft are that bit overbuilt to take the pounding of deck landings.

So my question is are some air frames simply tougher than others far in excess of the normal limits or are they made from stronger materials or what?

Sorry if it's a bit vague I'm struggling to be specific in what I mean - on the Bucc thread running Beagle refers to the Buccaneer as 'immensely strong' which i can understand given it's original role but would a Tornado or Hawk et al. survive the same maneuver in the same circumstances?

Or in the Second World War were certain bombers more likely to get you home missing a few bits and bobs?

The analogy I have in mind is the Toyota pick up on top gear - beat to sh!t but still intact where some other cars would be toast in minutes.