PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Suggestion on an affordable light jet for retirement use
Old 12th Feb 2015, 13:24
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A mere handful of years ago I was lucky to have the opportunity,albeit a brief one, to fly a Rockwell Shrike Commander in the Caribbean. I've flown quite a bit of charter in piston twins. Specific models include the C310R, Barons of various numbers, Senecas, but not Vs and, of course, the twin Comanche.
The Cessna can be very mildly challenging, the Senecas are desperately boring, the Comanche needs sensitivity and the Beech is simply a quality product. An old Baron is far younger than a Seneca of the same age and usage and that's just the quality difference.
However, the search for my ideal private purchase hit the buttress, as we say in Eton Fives, when I flew the Commander. It's an amalgam of perfect qualities from all the other twins put together with the great advantages inherent with an over wing construction. In a humble way, I'd like to second Adam Frisch's suggestions. There may be some of these aircraft available in South Africa. Eskom used to fly them out of Grand Central and so their engineering department might know the whereabouts of a decent one. Otherwise you could always pop along to Lanseria and buy a reef based King Air 200 with high flotation gear. That'll get in and out of anywhere really. As for single crew in a Lear, why volunteer to die young?