PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Make sure you guys are doing your control checks
Old 12th Feb 2015, 04:08
noneya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A follow up from the operator.

All – Attached find the latest MOL from Gulfstream regarding a GIV takeoff abort. Now that this is public, I want to provide some additional information. This was/is a Fair Wind managed GIV aircraft.

The event took place Saturday evening in Eagle, CO (EGE). Crew attempted a takeoff for a part 91 flight and aborted the takeoff at/above Vr due to apparent flight control malfunction. Crew stated that controls felt “unloaded” “mushy” and “unresponsive” and no matter how much they pulled aft on the “resistance free” yoke, the aircraft would not rotate. Crew elected to proceed with a highspeed abort and successfully stopped the aircraft on the 9000 foot runway, exited, stopped on a taxi-way, and requested fire crews due to hot brakes.

Fire trucks responded and about 4 minutes after wheel stop, a fire started on the right main gear brakes deflating tires. Fire was put out and crew and passengers were evacuated.

Aircraft was towed and quarantined in a hangar and NTSB and FAA are now investigating. Fair Wind is party to the ongoing investigation as to the potential causes of this incident.

This is all the information I can share at the moment other than that the crews decisive, correct, and split-second actions resulted in the safe abort and directly preventing the loss of life and property. I am immensely proud of their actions.

As you all know, a few months back, a Gulfstream IV had a similar occurrence in BED that ended in complete loss of life and destruction of the aircraft. We’re glad that all involved are uninjured and harm free.

Alexander H. Beringer

Executive Vice President | Director of Operations