PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2015, 02:07
Danny42C

Pete (your #6745),

Thanks for the offer, but I remember the List of Exercises (p118 #2341) Fred (RIP) Posted on this Thread. I would think that these numbers might have been standard for EFTS and SFTS (or Primary and Advanced Schools), but when it came to OTUs, there would need to be different exercises on each of the types involved, and the numbering system would have be unique to cater for each. The Meteor AFS at Driffield ('50) and Weston Zoyland ('54) used the same system.

Curiously, when I reached my operational VVs, we logged brief details of where we had been and what done for each training or operational sortie. But then again, post-war on 20 Sqdn, we reverted to "T 1", "R 6", "Y 6", "V 1.5", etc., as each of these would refer to one of our several routine tasks. Of these, I only remember that the figure represented the height. The only letter I can be confident about was "Y": this referred to the Spitfire runs at the Tonfanau AA range which produced the "ghost" targets for the gunners.

These entries were interspersed with non-standard items like "Formation", "Airtest" or "Army Co-op, Ty Croes" (and, on one occasion which will live long in my memory: "St Athan & Ret" [Brake Drums !] ).

Cheers, Danny,

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th Feb 2015 at 18:33. Reason: Spacing