PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 11th Feb 2015, 22:07
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
tommutrie
some of you chaps are talking about very aggressive maneuvers to recover from a stalled condition. Once you've unloaded the aircraft to zero G and the angle of attack is accordingly reduced it can't be in a stalled any more. Obviously you then need to wait for the aircraft to accelerate but I don't really understand why shoving masses of negative G makes any difference.
Let me point out some misunderstanding here.

Nobody is talking about masses of negative G. The aim is 0 g, as that will take the load off the wings and unstall the wing regardless of airspeed. 0 g is however a big number for someone, who has never expierienced less than +.9 g by his own hands in his thousands of flying hours. From the physical stress we could compare it to pulling +4 g, as positive g' are more tolerable.

0 g is not reached by gently putting the SS or the Control column a bit forward of neutral when stalled already. That kind of control input might be sufficient in the very early state of an entry into the stall when the AOA is close to the max allowable AOA, but it will achieve nothing when the AOA is excessive. Depending on different factors the AOA will decrease very slowly ( and the load factor in turn as well) even with a full nose down pitch input, which then has to be gradually released when the AOA decreases. Once the 0 g, representing 0 AOA is reached, maintain it with whatever control input it takes until the airspeed is sufficient again for recovery.

Maybe we should use a differnt word for agressive, I think I tried to avoid it in my arguments, let' s call it a decisive maneuver, an immidiate reaction to the stall warning with the correct procedure to migitate the danger to drop deeper into the stalled regime while accepting that management and passengers will not like the fallout of such a maneuver.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 12th Feb 2015 at 10:21.