PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF Navy pilots...Fast jets?!
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 22:04
MachTwoPlus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No they haven't. Army doesn't go to 2FTS, and their skills are never assesed by RAAF to the level required to offer a chance at the pointy jets.
There has been at least one Army Aviator offered RAAF FJ. This was a very specific case however that came about from Army Kiowa pilots getting Hawk 127 training prior to introduction of ARH. At least one pilot became an instructor at 2FTS and was sent on Intro Fighter Course (IFC) after successfully service transfering to RAAF.

Recently though comitting to jet conversion post 2FTS for RAN members has resulted in an immediate service transfer, as opposed to members remaining as RAN till later after conversion. If you take a run at jets, don't expect to go back to Albatross to fly rotary.
This was not the case when I completed my RAAF pilot training several years ago, but things do change. The wheel is likely to turn again with the Navy bringing Romeos into service. They are toying with the idea of letting RAAF pilots fly Navy for 5 years on loan to fill the expected shortage of pilots with the introduction of new type. I think you would be welcomed back to Navy if you scrubbed out of RAAF FJ training.