PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 11th Feb 2015, 17:38
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stall recovery training and even spin recovery training is in the syllabus of most military training schemes. I did full developped stalls and spins in the T37 Cessna, and later recovery from some unplanned stalls in the F4. It never was routine, each of those planned or unplanned stalls were a challenge.

Let's concentrate on doing the recovery in the most simple way first, it will work in more than 90% of all those events. Reduce the AOA by applying nose down input and nose down trim, consider reducing power, but at least do not add power. When the aircraft is unloaded at about 0g, you are not stalled anymore. Now accellerate by gravity and if necessary by smooth power application to flying speed, while maintaining this loadfactor close to 0g. Level the wings to the nearest horizon, then start a controlled pullout to level flight.
It is a step by step procedure, one has to be patient to let the contol input become effective. Any kind of premature change of configuration, thrust or drag will change the whole equation again with consequences for the next steps.

Concerning the bank angle it would be a great achievement to let the bank angle develop by itself ( which it does anyway in disturbed airflow) and accept it as help in getting the AOA down instead to counter it.

Any bank steering input or assymetric thrust change might induce yaw and kick the aircraft into a spin. It does not have to be a flat spin, any spin for a normal crew in a big transport aircraft will be deadly. There is no time to check out how much yaw dampers or limiters are still working which might prevent such a spin entry. Keep away from these possibilities as long as possible.

Although gravity is a mighty force, it is easily countered by flying machines. If the power is used with caution in the recovery phase i see not much problem in doing a pullout without overspeeding or overstressing the airframe. Lets keep it simple, plan on keeping the gear and flaps where they are at the beginning of the event as long as possible.

I have not flown gliders, but they would not be my choice for stall recovery training. There are lots (cheaper than sim time) aircraft available to demonstrate the necessary steps and feel the unloads for recovery.

But fiinally it is not only a question of funds, it is also a question of will.