PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines that have its pilots pay to fly
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 08:02
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of being stoned to death! what's wrong with paying for your training? The scenario now is: You want to be a pilot, OK we screen your aptitude i.e reduce the risk of the no-hopers, here's the deal, you pay for the training, if you pass you get to fly one go our 65 Million pound jets, on the other hand, you can pay your training and buy your own jet!
Of course, I am not supporting the issue of getting no salary while flying, that is completely wrong, but during the " training phase" it is reasonable to have a reduced salary.
Training is continued assessment and guys can expect to be chopped at any stage if they don't make the grade. It is impossible for an airline to justify keeping marginal people flying at the risk to the public. Of course, some guys are slow learners but this is reflected in the accrued debt and the mind set " i've come this far I may as well continue". All this spouting that " proper companies" pay for everything " in my days".. let's move on and accept how it is. Take a long hard look at the " proper companies" and evaluate firstly how difficult it is to enter and how much the real cost of getting to their standard is. 10 Years ago Oxford students were paying almost 3 times as much as modular for the same CPL ticket, but then they could " fast track" to the majors..this was the real start of PTF at grass roots level. The likes of Eaglejet spurned a whole new avenue of progression for the marginal students and the rejects and this culture has prevailed ever since