PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 07:31
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is little point in converting ones own experiences as a Cadet into expectations of Cadet life nowadays. Not only has the organisation changed but the Cadet mentailty has changed significantly.

Education changes have impacted the career curve of cadets. It was once so that the next stage of life depended upon revision and a single set of exams. Coursework these days have created a Cadets/Education conflict of interest at the very point when in days gone by the seeds of Leadership and Responsibility in the form of rank were being sown. The brightest individuals will prioritise education and reduce their commitment to cadets.

Children in days gone by played outside regardless of whether team player or loner. They climbed trees, broke limbs and got up to mischief. Most important of all, they could communicate by talking. These days everything is heads down and tapping on an iPad or X-box in written variations of text.

I have witnessed on many occasions flying (AEF) opportunities offered to Cadets who do not want it. The prospect of a day spent at the AEF for a 20 min fligt has no appeal to them. Exactly the opposite of when I was a Cadet myself in the early seventies.

That said, in my day the 'Sqn' went on Annual Camp every year, which was the highlight of the ATC calendar. These days camp contingents are made up of less than half dozen cadets per sqn amalgamated into a temporary 'sqn' for the purpose of at least getting some to camp.

A smaller RAF and operational commitments are the prime reason given, but IMHO, the RAF have little appetite these days for support to the ACO which I am sure is Treasury driven. Where it not for AEF/UAS being a senior officer (retired) free flying club, I suspect that both would have by now been disbanded.