PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two down near Townsville
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 05:36
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft wreckage positions appear to be about 50 or 60 metres apart, and around the same distance from the powerlines as the height of the HT power pylons.
The news video (best viewed, full screen) has a paramedic saying they had a MAC - but there doesn't appear to be the paint scrapes on the wreckage that one would potentially expect in a MAC.
I would hazard an opinion at this stage, that the powerline collision scenario is the likely cause.
All in all, a very sad event that shows even the most experienced can come to grief.

The news is constantly repeating that Robin Friend was a chopper pilot in 'Nam, but he's not listed on the Australian Vietnam Honour Roll, which I find rather strange.

I guess there could be about three or four reasons for the lack of information on Robin Friends helicopter career in Vietnam;

1. He was originally American and served in the US forces ..
2. He operated as a chopper pilot in the "Vietnam War era" - but not in a military duty ..
3. He has been missed in the compilation of the Australian Vietnam Veteran Roll of Honour (highly unlikely) ..
4. He has elected to have any reference to his service withdrawn from the Roll (possible) ..

North Queensland ultralight crash victims Errol Young and Robin Friend were true gentleman

John Eacott might be able to shed some light?