PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Crash Investigation - New Series 9pm Mondays, National Geographic
Old 11th Feb 2015, 02:06
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
AnAussieNut - thanks much for that link. Turns out that what is being shown in the US on Smithsonian network is a season behind - we're just getting season 13, not season 14. So watching Lauda (and the rest of season 14) via youtube is my short term option.

I just watched Lauda, and I have some nitpicks, but overall pretty accurate. There was some natural timeline condensation. For example we did some dedicated wind tunnel testing ~3 months after the accident to determine the accurate reaction to the deployed reverser - it wasn't until we'd completed that testing that it became clear that the aircraft wasn't controllable (the first time Niki tried the scenario in the simulator - before the new coefficients were available - he thought it was controllable and there must have been more to it).
Also, most of the people involved in the investigation do not think the deployment was the result of a short circuit, but the more probable scenario would have been difficult to explain in layman terms, while a short circuit is easy to grasp.