PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory Handling
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 00:51
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compulsory Handling

Having flown a Citation 550 to a fairly smallish airport on the south coast of France an interesting situation occurred.

I was told that handling was mandatory for aircraft over 6 T.

Located the handling agent and told them we would be in by 10pm local time.
we didn't want anything but a lift from the aircraft to the relevant part of the terminal to clear whatever and to get the businessman owner on his way!
How much for this minimal service?

I was quoted a basic handling rate of 608.00 Euro !!!

I could not believe it and expressed my discontent to the handling agent who told me to contact OPS

Contacting OPS i was told that if we did not have a handling agent which is mandatory they would have to pick us up from the aircraft I presume they didn't want half baked idiots wandering around an airport.

They confirmed they would offer this service as well as arranging fuel for us but with the proviso that handling was mandatory.
I explained that no way would my boss pay 608 Euro for nothing. or literally nothing.

Then I thought about it a bit!! Handling was mandatory but surely OPS who charge nothing for the service would pick us up and deposit us through customs for free as well as sorting the fuel for us.

Is this not handling and as such where we not meeting the regulation that we must have a handler by using OPS?

This is what I did with a total landing and parking charges of 47 Euro and no 608 Euro for commercial handling.

We had met the letter of the requirements for compulsory handling and avoided a day light robbery charge of 608 Euro.

Just a thought around compulsory handling as no where in the regs does it mention that the handling must be by a commercial unit JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT for other airports which have mandatory handling requirements. The airport and security have a duty to move you from the aircraft to the terminal and in my books that is handling and no where does it say the handler must be a commercial unit.

Pace