PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scenic Flights NPRM
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2015, 22:45
ding duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprocket check, do you currently or have you ever owned a GA charter business?
If you had your view would be vastly different.
I spent a considerable amount of borrowed money establishing my business, writing an operations manual, sms, undertaking proving flights, employing appropriately qualified staff for key positions, purchasing operational equipment etc.
We do things properly, do not cut corners, and as such our business has become known locally for our service and attention to detail. We have grown from 2 aircraft to several because our guests want to fly with us for our safety record and our service.
Take one of our competitors for example, who chose not to do things properly and who decided to cut a lot of corners. They were eventually forced to close but not before they attempted to kill 6 people.
From your previous post you are suggesting that under the proposed rules, the well known owner of said business would be able to purchase an aircraft, set himself up with a website and little to no infrastructure and start offering scenic flights with significantly reduced operating costs! And you are telling me we should not feel threatened by this!
I agree that the current rules can be somewhat onerous, however, any potential operator with a great idea currently has to prove to CASA that they have the right staff, systems, procedures and infrastructure in place to operate aircraft safely. We all have to jump through the hoops, some just have a few more hoops to jump through than others. But to remove most if not all of the hoops altogether?
Human nature also looks for the cheapest option...not necessarily the BEST option. Yes there are still those people who are willing to pay more for a better product, but the vast majority will go for the cheaper option, just look at the rise of the low cost carriers.
As far as becoming the domain of the exclusive, it is a very expensive industry to be a part of, more so for business owners, but it is not out of reach of the average person, I am a very good case in point. I fear that any young pilot who has parents with money behind them will be able to buy an aircraft and begin offering flights with little to no experience outside of flying school. And don't tell me that is unlikely to happen because I have already been approached by several such people in the past 2 years who wanted to buy an aircraft and use my hard earned AOC to operate, taking risks and potentially jeopardising my business en-route to attaining their own AOC and attempting to woo clients I have worked hard to please.
Tell me this is still a good idea...