PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History of the English Speaking Peoples
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2015, 17:55
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to sound a note of pessimism but when my father died about 12 years ago, he had a large collection of books acquired over many years, mostly on military history and world exploration, including Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples.

Sadly it proved impossible, despite contacting various booksellers and auctioneers, to find anyone who wanted them even as a donation. We had various 'barrow boys' offering to clear deceased effects as a job lot and I was told that books would probably end up being pulped, whilst furniture and kitchen items would have gone to Romania to help the poor. The latter I was happy with, but I could not stomach the idea of his books being pulped.

Little by little we found people to give them to, my siblings and I kept some, but it was a hard task and I fear that with the passage of time, it may be harder now than than.

Disposing of my mother's collection of art and classical literature was even more of a headache, particularly as it was stuff with which I, as a philistine, had no empathy.

I wish you luck.

By the way Winston Churchill died in 1965 so I'm not sure about your publication date. I would think more like the late 1950s.