PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 10th Feb 2015, 16:49
c.j.shrimpton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leightman.
As one of those who advocates more stall training in the sim, I think I should reply. The point I was making was that the recovery from a fully developed stall, especially at very high altitude is quite the opposite of what is taught to airline crews, with monotonous regularity, for the avoidance of an impending stall at low level. The crew must be able to recognise when stall prevention gives way to stall recovery and this has to be instinctive and mustn't be delayed. If necessary the recovery attitude (and power) needs to be applied for a protracted period of time and with a large loss of altitude. The resulting trajectory has to be accepted even if it takes the aircraft into a CB or terrain. Until the aircraft is unstalled and flying again, nothing else matters. Just hope you've got enough airspace.
When I read details of the various reports of aircraft upsets, I always wonder if I could have coped as well as the guys who survived or any better than those who didn't.
Yes, I've also had many lucky escapes.