PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Air Show - Barton
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2015, 14:31
Historian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang replica crash-I was there!

I was the lone figure seen in cine film clips shown near the copse of trees to the edge of the flight line, nearly got hit by the crash of the replica midget Mustang. I was seeing the pilot,still alive, trying to pull out, as seen through my zoom lens SLR camera. The Police got my film and triangulated my images with others who were in the correct place. I was notand nearly got killedfor my straying! Seen on the news also at the time, I am the lone figure seen there. Nearly hit also by the clods of Earth raining down near me when he went in. My condolences to his family and I still disagree with the findings of the investigation which said he died before crashing. Also that he had not permission to fly this,which was rubbish! I did see a spurt of exhaust smokeand hear the engine hesitate whilst inverted and then felt the loss of power, momentarilyand lackof sufficient subsequent height made the crash inevitable. Even more remarkable was a real Mustang "Moose?" that threw very daring low level aerobatics in tribute right over the crashed aircraftand I felt he came too low on his final loop and feared a second crash! He was a superb pilotand I appreciated his silent salute to a fallen pilot. I was learning to fly at the time and this shook me.
Historian