PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2015, 12:53
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re London EuropeanI flew once from AMS with them. Their big selling point was cheap duty frees, undercutting the airports. The CC was still dishing these out and taking payments during the landing and all the way up to the gate. The doors remained closed for about 5 minutes on stand until they'd finished.
I worked the summer holidays (1966?) as a loader/cleaner and remember being sent with a broom to sweep the pigeon crap out of what was to become the Monarch hangar just prior to their arrival

The photo shown here is Eaton Green Road taken in the early 70's with the airport boundary to the right
Luton Corporation (IIRC) operated double deckers down there at one time. I was one of several doing my Flying Scholarship at the time and one of the instructors regularly scared the crap out of us by taking the cotrols and trying to bounce off the roof.

No idea but in the late 60's the airport looked like this.
Looks like Pooley's Flight Guide. Still have a copy somewhere.

I once got my photo on the front page of the Times. The Coal Board Dove, GARUM was hangered in the Flying Club hangar and Always had to be pushed out first and back last every evening. All done by hand. The Chairman was giving a press conference on the apron prior to flying out to the Aberfan Enquiry. There was me in the background slouching across the tarmac

Happy days

Last edited by Lon More; 10th Feb 2015 at 13:18.