PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 10th Feb 2015, 10:38
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
This fits into the current legal environment nicely. That is what has a lot of management concerned: liability. This make regulators happy, seeing all of those boxes ticked. Training costs time and money. Box ticking is more "time efficient." (Please note the sarcasm dripping from my keyboard ... )
ISO 9000 has arrived on the Flight Deck.

Don't feel bad. This isn't only a problem in the airline industry.
Because people are hard to lead and manage.
At one stage in my 'career' I qualified as an ISO-9000 auditor. One of the things that was expressed to me during the training was that procedures were not required for everything, only where it was really essential the procedures were not varied. Or to put it another way one of the more experienced QA instructors said:

"You go to audit some companies and they have several tables all covered with procedure manuals 2 or 3 deep. You go into others and they hand you a single slim folder. You know immediately which company actually follows their procedures."

I think that this has application in the aviation world. Less by rote procedures and more capable personnel will make a better more professional airline which in the long term will be safer and more profitable.

Unfortunately, that message has not percolated through to 'management' and tickboxes and inhibition of original thought are seen as the way to do it. That inevitably leads to the:

'if there isn't a procedure for it - you are not allowed to do it'; and,

'I have learned all the procedures in the manual and the boxes have all been ticked, so I don't need to know anything else.'