PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Feb 2015, 10:13
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning Coff,

Fortunately, as a "rigger" by trade myself, I never had to deal with K9P on Albert. The biggest liability I remember from being a GE was a blockage of the urinal drains. This often went unreported by the Pax until the urinal itself got rather full. Any turbulence then and .... , you can imagine. If we (the Loadie or GE) spotted the problem quickly, a large poly bag over the top usually saved the day, along with the appropriate signage. I do know that unblocking the damn things was often messy, and not appreciated by the people whose airfield was contaminated upon release. The only other major threat, in my opinion, were the large quantities of road salt we shipped in to Sarajevo, to help keep their roads ice fre, and help the road convoys around. The stuff spilled everywhere, and, for obvious reasons, had to be cleaned up as soon as practicable. Often leading to an extra couple of hours at the aircraft after a long day, usually 3 return trips Ancona to Sarajevo. Why the stuff wasn't shipped in by the road convoys is beyond me, but salt and aircraft are not good bedfellows I would say.

Smudge