PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Handling Exercises For HKG MPL's & Cadets?
Old 10th Feb 2015, 08:56
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I would add a series of hand flown advanced handling on the aircraft and have this for everyone in that it is more of a recency thing (don't know how well the sim replicates the aircraft in this regard). Many accidents have happened because an individual hasn't learned and maintained the basic skill to push rather than pull to unload the wings (hard as it might be) when at high AOA. A wing won't normally stall unless one forces it to. These would need to be done in the appropriate manner for a transport category aircraft (i.e. G limited and without excessive rudder/yaw inputs). How often do we take the sim into a full stall and recover from resultant unusual attitudes ? How many stall recoveries have we done after loss of pitot-static information ? How about situations where the wing is kinda still flying but well into the back side of the power curve with a high rate of descent ? Aircraft are (rightly) operated in a very narrow flight envelope and many have never seen what happens when one operates at the edge or well outside of this.

The Buffalo crash, Roselawn IN crash, (probably) TPE crash, Raleigh Jetstream crash (mid-90s), and several others had the aircraft hitting the ground after an uncontrolled roll occurred during a stall at high AOA (sometimes rolling to inverted). In several of the cases the pilot continued to pull rather than push all the way into the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxywEE1kK6I

Last edited by Shep69; 10th Feb 2015 at 09:09.