PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ announcement
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2015, 08:46
Aeolus2000BC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Attitude Problem'

This thread has raised a 'little' discussion amongst ex Eagle and other Kiwi pilots here.

I remember hearing about a Jet Pilot getting washed out a few years ago. Eagle being Eagle threw him in the deep end (direct entry command) and expected nothing less than NASA test pilot standards. Little did he realize, Eagle don't train Pilots they only Check them and your experience counts for nothing when surrounded by Astronauts. I did hear he had an "attitude problem" but who wouldn't in that environment? Was all Chinese whispers of course... but I can see it happening. Transitioning from Prop to Jet or vice versa does take some getting used to as it's a completely different skill set. Without inflating any Eagle ego's... I imagine it would pretty hard work stepping back into that kind of operation, and perhaps there was a lack of understanding (from both parties) to that effect. Perhaps 2-3 months in the RHS, or an extra months line training in the LHS would of made all the difference.

- expected nothing less than NASA test pilot standards
- Eagle don't train Pilots they only Check them

Well observed comments. This is the real issue. Eagle Mgt and some Training Capts were Demonic 'Gods' who think they are above all.
ie. recommending the jet Capt do a part 61 Inst Rating (basic Instrument Rating in a light piston twin) before continuing with the B1900 training. (Thats what we hear was said- albeit 2nd/3rd hand)
and 'stop the training due not being current flying IFR in NZ'

I fly for one of the real Big E's - and flying IFR in NZ is (surprise surprise) NO DIFFERENT than flying IFR anywhere else in the world! Does NZ get Sand storms/freezing rain or fog/snow 1.0m deep ? Yes WLG is a little bumpy on windy days - but no different than many other places around the world. The jet Capt in question we believe (know) had flown in NZ previously so what was the Trg Capts issue ?

We understand the jet Capt complied with the CAA requirements for licence conversion ie.
- Medical
- Pass ATPL Law exam
- Pass Flight Test
but it seems the Trg Capt made up his own requirements and refused to TRAIN for the Flight Test. He is a TRAINING Capt so was required to TRAIN. As pointed out above - Eagle do not train, they only CHECK. This is the real issue.

So who had the REAL 'attitude problem' ?

Ciao.