PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Resignation Tips
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2015, 18:21
TangoUniform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try and reiterate what I said above to make it simple

Here's a real choice if you have the option. Come to EK, get an upgrade optimistically in five years and get all the "goodies" that EK offers...such as, not awarding you the 42 days leave you thought was promised, flying 900 HARD hours per year (half of which will be all night on the backside of the clock), airport hotels in many wonderful cities (CDG, LHR, FCO, MXP to name a few), no additional pay duties outside of the cockpit, aviation medicals done by your employer with no recourse or doctor/patient privilege....oh hell it's been hashed out over and over. And make the same pay as a 5 year narrow body captain at a legacy.

OR

Get hired at a legacy or major airline in the U.S (reasonable to say not all have that option) have a contract to work under, with grievance procedures, have duty rigs and credit, fly in the vicinity of 700 soft hours per year, choose the AME of your choice, expect reasonable vacation awards (not 4 days awarded), get credit and pay of any training, both online, classroom or sim, possibly get a narrow body upgrade (albeit on reserve) and.........make similar money as a 10 year international wide bodied 777, 380, captain.

Tax free for US citizens..,.think again. Taxed on anything over 100k, taxed on housing allowance, and educational allowance (which may or may not be enough), and now forced to live in compounds or take the TAXABLE housing allowance.

The tables have turned in some parts of the world with regard to terms and conditions for the better. I am comparing a major international player (EK) to other major international players. Not the regionals, ULCCs, or startups.