PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2015, 15:44
Andrewlinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griffith University

Arch113,

I am actually from Griffith University in Brisbane doing the Aviation degree and I'm coming into my second year. During the Australian summer break, I flew back to Hong Kong (as a Permanent HKID holder) to apply for CX.

I finished Stage 1B on 09 Jan and have been confirmed for Stage 2. I'm just waiting on a time slot now, which should be in March.

The partnership seems non-existent (from a student's standpoint), but there is a Ex-Cathay Senior Training Captain there who does some pretty neat things and he has some great preparation resources for CX. But that's about it, I don't see any actual workings going on. I agree with Cpt. Underpants, there's no "top students would may be provided a visa and sent off as a cadet", nothing such exists now at-least. It may just be a selling point.

The University has since changed their degree from a 4 year to a 3 year degree, I'm still in the 4 year one unfortunately. It consists of studying aviation subjects for 2 years before we take a "break" to complete our flight training at selected Australian flight training institutes, whereafter we would return to the University to complete our last year. However, they have a trend with crediting that last year to their students and graduating them if they are accepted into a cadetship program or have an equivalent of at-least 120 credit points (completed 12 degree-required subjects). That's what I am aiming for. I was both lucky enough to have a summer break to apply for Cathay, but I was unfortunate in the sense that I would graduate at the same time as someone who would be starting this year.

For future reference, those who wish to undertake Griffith's Bachelor of Aviation Program, it would be difficult to allow time to apply to Cathay since the process does take a while (6 months is the general consensus?) and it requires you to be in Hong Kong unless you are fortunate enough to fly multiple times back and from Brisbane on short notice. The refurbished program implements holiday study semesters, which students would need to study for and complete exams within the holidays. There would generally not be adequate time to study and prepare in-between interviews if one should apply for CX whilst in this program.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or make a post.