PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how long to send licence off
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2015, 11:26
Andrewgr2

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
When I applied to convert my UK PPL to an EASA PPL last year, I sent off all the paperwork and didn't hear anything for more than a month. I emailed and despite receiving an acknowledgement and a copy of an email asking someone to let me know the position, I didn't get a reply to tell me what was happening. Eventually I phoned the CAA and was told that I hadn't included an English Language Proficiency Certificate with my application. They claimed to have emailed me to tell me this shortly after I submitted my application but I could find no trace of the email. For all I know they sent it to the wrong email address. My application would have remained in the application tray indefinitely if I hadn't followed it up.

I hadn't sent in a certificate because I had been assessed by the CAA at Aero Expo the previous year and was told that the assessment would be on my record for whenever I next made an application. Anyway I got a further certificate signed, sent it off and got my new licence back within a week or so.

The moral is that if you don't hear from the CAA, don't assume they are working on your case. Assume it is parked and chase it up. To be fair, they were very pleasant and helpful on the phone - they just seem to be working with a shaky system.

Last edited by Andrewgr2; 9th Feb 2015 at 11:26. Reason: Typo