PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Fly-in
Thread: First Fly-in
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 21:57
150 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice is to do it and enjoy it without worrying about the fact it is a fly in, just a busy aerodrome.

One of my early post PPL flights was along the south coast and into Shoreham. The day was gorgeous blue sky, benign conditions, the world and her husband seemed to be flying.

I wasn't familiar with flying down there then, Shoreham sounded a bit like what I imagined Heathrow to be (!), I joined the circuit as (I recall) number 5 and was scanning like crazy, trying my best to do what I should. When number one ('turn final, tight as you can, cleared to land') I completely screwed the approach and elected for a go around - I sensed the resignation from the controller but he kept professional and I nailed it second time around (four others in the circuit this time).

I thought it must be normal to be this busy until I saw the adverts posted around the terminal building about a Valentine's fly in

If I'd known it was happening I either wouldn't have gone near or if I had I would have been scared witless about messing up on the whole journey. However, without the pre-worry this was an innocent but useful dollop into the Experience bucket, probably at the cost of a scoop out of the luck pot.

Last edited by 150 Driver; 8th Feb 2015 at 22:02. Reason: spelling