PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine Crisis 2014
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 21:35
Brewers Droop

RR

Sadly my bottle of best capitalist red wine is finished so I will agree to disagree. This will be my last on the matter.

Why do you keep comparing Ukraine with other countries? You imply that Russia can behave in this way simply because 'the west' has intervened.

More conveniantly you completely disregard the rational for those interventions? In Syria, Assad was commiting gross human rights violations against his people including the use of chemical weapons. In Libya civil unrest was responded to by troops firing in to crowds with live bullets. Both leaders had a long history of the complete disregard of the human rights of their population. I don't see the Democratically elected Ukraine Government doing this??? Instead, I see a small country defending its territory against both an armed opposition supplied and supported by a big neighbour determined to take territory by use of force with complete disregard to international law. And if you don't see that then I would suggest you are either Putin (and I collect my 5 pounds) or are of a political view that simply will not accept that Russia is conducting a form of real politic that is best left in the 19th and early 20th Century.

Incidentally, you may find the idea of responsibility to protect enlightening Responsibility to Protect. I hope you do.

Good Night - BP