PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 16:48
TheInquisitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if you are in a glide it is not a good idea to fly close to stall Speed, no matter what the circumstance. This only reduces your vital margins (against stall or loss of directional control) and Options (by significantly deteriorating L/D and thus glide distance).
I don't think anybody here is claiming that flying close to the stall speed is a good idea - it's not the point I was trying to make, at least.

A number of posters are claiming that they were 'definitely' stalled - likely based on presumptuous analysis of video footage. My contention is that the data so far available suggests otherwise - at least for the majority of that descent. In the last seconds - almost certainly. But by then they were out of options and likely just doing what they could to avoid the worst of it (high buildings / roads / built-up area)

Loss of directional control in any ME aircraft has little to do with stall speed.

I sincerely hope you are not a Pilot. If so, please let me know which Airline so I can avoid it.
I'm guessing that you are not - at least, not multi TP.

Let's not forget, 15 people survived this - it could have been ALOT worse.