PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 11:25
SAR Bloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to reserve judgement on criticising the crew until more information is made available. I don't know if there is more detail being released in Taiwan that doesn't make it to the Western media but I do find the way that information appears to be being released to be a little odd. I am used to seeing a brief overview fairly shortly after an accident, with maybe some early recommendations/engineering procedures to counter any immediate risk highlighted, and then a delay before a full, considered, report is released. This accident seems to be producing a trickle of information that still doesn't seem to give any real description of what happened, and more importantly, why. The early press releases in the Western media, attributed to the investigating authorities, were less than clear. Each time a bit more information comes out it appears to change casual observers viewpoint as to whether the crew were heroes or villians (or perceivably both).

For instance, did the #2 engine 'fail' or was it a prop/engine control problem? Why has the FDR trace been released? Why have elements of the CVR been released? The #1 power lever appears to have been moved very quickly; who moved it? Was the captain immediately aware that the #1 power lever had been moved? Did the #2 prop feather correctly or was it windmilling? So many unanswered questions.

Most comments appear to criticize the 'crew' but it could be that one person made a mistake and the others on the flightdeck were victims as much as everyone else. It could be that the training the crew received wasn't sufficient to prepare them for what they were presented with; if so, would it be their fault if they can't deal with it?

My personal opinion is that 'number of hours on the flightdeck' doesn't prove competence and isn't a good indicator of ability to deal with abnormal situations (as an aside, I also think that airlines should rethink their recruitment minima that appears to be predominately based on hours). You can have a pilot with low hours with lots of recent relevant experience, or a pilot with 1000's of trouble-free hours with only the simulator training (which may be the same every scenario every time) to fall back on.

The Kegworth disaster mentioned is an interesting comparison as, on immediate appearance it looks like a stupid mistake to close down the wrong engine, but if you actually look more deeply into the facts you can understand why it might have happened, even if you can't excuse it.