PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing takes skill
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2003, 12:53
PROPSWINGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What a bl**dy good post!

Victa, one of the best questions/observations I've seen on Pprune for awhile.....

Firstly, let me say that flying instruction for the most part is one of the most underestimated, underrated and under paid jobs in this industry. As a career instructor, you are expected to deal with the whole gammit of personalities from the poor right through to the stinking rich and every one of them has differing demands/expectations/time constraints/monetary constraints/etc, etc etc (the list just goes on). Of equal importance, the flying instructor is ultimately responsible for the standard of the industry in the future and if we have poor instructional standards and attitude NOW, these these attitudes and standards will pervade the industry. The new CPL bloke who embarks onto flying instruction as a means of gaining 'hours' until the airline job comes along can (and I must stress 'can') cause standards to be significantly lowered unless he works hard at producing a reasonable product. The same can be seaid for the older types who have been at it for too long and are just waiting to move on or retire. It really is a balancing act trying to find the right people to instruct!
Your own scenario with teaching your sister to drive says it all. Once the novelty wears off (and it took you less than 1 week), then instructing becomes a very difficult and demanding job.
Let's see what comments we draw now! Standby!