PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Feb 2015, 08:54
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've just finished wading through all 123 pages; No mean feat with our internet connection here in Myanmar! What a brilliant thread

Anyway, I first came into contact with the Herk on ATC summer camp at Lyneham in '79... All my mates had the 'pleasure' of 3hr circuits and Khe San approaches with many bags being filled I however got lucky and only had fun transits.

According to my 3822, I had the following trips;

21.8.79 XV186 Transit to Cambridge(Marshalls) & return 1:45

23.8.79 XV223 Transit to Coningsby & Return 3:15 (The more observant amongst you will note the date is the 25th anniversary of the first flight of the C-130 )
I think 223 went on to be the first 'stretched' version?

On one of these flights I remember standing harnessed up with the ramp down as Snoopy flew past below us- quite a sight!

And summer camp again in '81;

19.8.81 XV213 Circuits 1:05

When I moved up to the Ross on Wye area at the end of the 80's we lived it would appear, on the low level route to Wales, with much aerial activity including Herks, Chinooks(presumably in support of the boys up the road in Herryford & Pontrilas) at all hours of the day and night, VERY low plus the usual RAF/USAF culprits including the lovely A10

I also remember seeing a formation of 15+ over the Severn estuary in the early 90s?? Great sight and noise!

Another memory was having a flypast whilst flying our balloon near Ross with the ramp down and the Loadie waving as they went by

Anyway, keep the pics and stories coming, it's all great stuff!

I'll try and post some pics later of a couple of the fleet in service with a foreign air force in more modern times...Off for a barbecue on the banks of the Irrawaddy first though